The holidays fast approach and with all the spirit of the season, some potential hazards can go unnoticed around your home. The first and most potentially hazardous danger are house fires. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Keep your tree away from any and all heat sources. This includes electrical outlets, radiators, space heaters, and fireplaces.
- Make sure natural trees are well watered.
- If you have purchased an artificial tree, please make sure it is labeled “fire retardant.”
- Unplug the tree lights before leaving your home or before going to bed.
- Avoid using real candles on a tree, especially if it is not artificial. Real Christmas trees contain a lot of natural oils that are very flammable, especially if the tree is dry.
- Use a maximum of three strands of tree lights on a single extension cord.
When it comes to your holiday lights, please remember…
- Do not run electrical wires under rugs.
- Trim candle wicks to a ¼-inch in height.
- Make sure the cords used for lights and other decorations are not frayed. If they are, it is time to get rid of them. It is easier to buy a new strand of lights than to try to restore your home after a fire.
Your fireplace will likely get a workout this holiday season, so make sure to…
- Always have a professional inspect your fireplace annually.
- Inspect your stove or fireplace for any cracks.
- Always use a screen in front of your fireplace while it is burning.
From all of us at Encore Custom Homes, have a happy and safe start to your holiday season!